View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH@UN View Post
100% this.

The amount of time and money it'll take to do it, it won't even be close to feasible.
Lots of the stuff people do on here doesn't make any economical sense. Prius Chevy pickup? LED lights? Drive super slow? Objectively none of these are "worth" it, and this of course won't be worth it either. Though I guess you could create a CBA graph showing that this is even less worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The problem with running an electric through a transmission is that the shock load applying full torque is measured in milliseconds instead of microseconds. Shredded clutches, & blown automatics as far as the eye can see. The single-speed drivetrain has 100% torque at zero RPM, OTOH it need double the horsepower rating of a gas engine and big fat wires so they don't melt.
This is the kind of stuff I'm worried about. I worked in a factory where we did aluminum and steel metalworking and I can make mounting brackets or weld steel, but I don't have the capability to machine things like gears or a differential.

The primary issue for me is going to be deciding at which point the new electric drivetrain components end and the stock Insight drivetrain components begin. I need to identify the easiest place to make the switch from one to the other. Thanks for everyone's input on this.