View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
ecocruze
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfj40 View Post
Hello 14'ecocruze,

That's the SOHC 4.0 derivative of the venerable Cologne V6 as cRiPpLe_rOoStEr points out. I've got it's previous incarnation, the OHV (pushrod) 4.0 V6 in my 2000 Ford Explorer manual trans. Do you have the manual trans in your '02? 2002 was the last year for the manual trans in 4-door, the 2-door kept it available for another year or few until or right before it was dropped from production. IIRC. If you do have the manual trans, I'm very jealous.

What are your goals for the swap? If it is just efficiency, you're going the wrong way - most mid-size to economy cars have sub 3.0liter engines already, so you can run them at higher overall load to get better average BSFC out of them. Putting in a larger engine that won't work as hard would be a backwards step in efficiency. Generally, folks have found that by the time they've done a bunch of aero work, load reduction, etc. they are no longer operating the engine in an efficient regime - time to swap a smaller one in.

As for the practicalities, I can't find any Cologne V6 engines in a transverse application at all. The Aerostars that had them were front engine rear drive. So you'd need a transmission/engine adapter, clutch/flywheel adapter, custom oil pan, custom motor mounts, and the fun wiring stuff. Your engine is PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) so you'll need a custom tune to delete that, else you need to keep a chunk of the dash and steering column from the Explorer plus a key from it to make it run in the new chassis.

Saturns were available with 4-cyl engines and manual trans from the factory, though you may need to look around to find one.

If you want an immediate upgrade with zero labor to ~30+mpg (completely stock, aside from worsened aero due to front end damage, and lighter weight due to rust), I've got a 1999 Chevy Prizm 1.8L 4-cyl manual trans I'll trade you straight up for your 2002 Explorer 4.0L V6 manual trans. :-)
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input seems it would be an expensive task if I wanted to experiment with it. Sorry not a manual transmission. If it were I guarantee I would be breaking 30 mpg mark. Drive like a grandpa to get 60+ mpg in the cruze. Takes dedication to do it for a whole tank.
So the antitheft throws a massive monkey wrench and the dream along with additional parts if I wanted front wheel drive.
Loving the engine in it. Well maintained except spark plugs until I got my hands on it. 260k miles runs like a top and still seems to have plenty of life in it. Maybe my dream should switch to just putting a manual transmission into it. Sounds cheaper and Probably get 4+ mpg gain just due to my driving with a manual. The torque converter lockup thread I was thinking on maybe my best bet to get 30 mpg for cheap but shifting on your own is sooooo much better than dinking around with a throw switch.