View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input seems it would be an expensive task if I wanted to experiment with it. Sorry not a manual transmission. If it were I guarantee I would be breaking 30 mpg mark. Drive like a grandpa to get 60+ mpg in the cruze. Takes dedication to do it for a whole tank.
So the antitheft throws a massive monkey wrench and the dream along with additional parts if I wanted front wheel drive.
Loving the engine in it. Well maintained except spark plugs until I got my hands on it. 260k miles runs like a top and still seems to have plenty of life in it. Maybe my dream should switch to just putting a manual transmission into it. Sounds cheaper and Probably get 4+ mpg gain just due to my driving with a manual. The torque converter lockup thread I was thinking on maybe my best bet to get 30 mpg for cheap but shifting on your own is sooooo much better than dinking around with a throw switch.
Hello again 14'ecocruze,

Apparently the tune to remove or reprogram the PATS is ~$250 or less, depending on where you go - not insurmountable, and it is likely included "free" if you're already paying about the same amount for a performance/economy tune.

Putting a manual trans into an Explorer has been done (the factory did it, so you can use all factory parts) - poke around on the web, you'll likely find a decent writeup or few. Note that most swaps were with V8 Explorers, so the transmission, driveshaft and transfercase info are different, but the wiring changes and overall scope of what parts must change/be added are the same.

260k miles? Have the timing chains been changed? They are a weak spot still on that year 4.0 SOHC, and you have to pull the engine to get to the rear one.

You're doing better than I am MPG-wise so far - the SOHC is a more efficient engine than the OHV, and the lockup 5-speed auto isn't bad for highway mileage.
The Following User Says Thank You to cajunfj40 For This Useful Post:
ecocruze (06-23-2017)