View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #167 (permalink)
Jurgis
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 67.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latrom View Post
I have a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 TDI. I'm getting 52-45 MPG diesel depending on city/long distance driving etc. On flatlands I can get close to 60 with optimal conditions. The only mods I have is a slightly higher tyre pressure. I have a scangaugeII calibrated and installed.

I don't think it's a common car in the USA but I'm interested in MPG tips.
Terve Latrom! Without any other mods 60MPG (3,9l/100km) is quite good. Which pressure do you use? I think 44PSI (3,0 bar) is the limit for the tyres used for small cars. Driving is not so comfortable but it saves a lot.
Did you ever try "pulse & glide"?
Try the 5th gear, speed up rather fast to 85km/h (53 MPH), release the clutch and let the car roll until the speed is 70km/h (43 MPH), then speed up again.
This style is not possible if you're not alone but on the next trip to Rovaniemi you will have chance to try.
Additionally I use EOC (engine off coasting), that means while rolling I switch off the engine but ignition must be on. That might be dangerous as driving curves and breaking is no longer supported. As long as there is no moose (hirvi) on the street ...