View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Michael Moore
EcoModding Apprentice

I've got one RR track project (2015 KTM 250SX 2T with 125GP running gear, 50hp and sub 200 pound weight) that will be kept, and part of my goal with the serious culling of the rest of the project herd is to stop having a lot of bikes that either can't be used (because they don't run and "someday" when they will run seldom seems to arrive) or can only be used infrequently and with some effort/expense (race bikes in general).

Something like Alan Smith's 250 Ninja streamliner (176 mpg) looks interesting. I've liked the NSU record breakers for a long time, and the short roadrace-shell streamliners were used to set some economy records in the late 1950s (250 mpg).

I briefly considered electrics but I can't get on mentally with electrons because unlike valves and crankshafts I can't see them move, plus I'd suffer from range anxiety. They also tend to weigh too much for my taste. An e-bike power plant would be a black box for me so I'd have to buy one of the few commercial versions which seem to be a bit on the expensive side of the budget.

I've raced various 650/750 twins, but I've never been into speed for speed's sake. These days 90-100 mph on a race track is plenty fast enough, and 80 mph on the street would never be seen. I've had a 250 Ninja in the past and it was fun both on the street and track, so a CBR300 Honda single would be a likely candidate as being something I've not had before but with similar power to the EX250.