View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
info

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASY View Post
Thanks for your message Aerohead. By the way, I'm amazed by the work you did!!! Thanks for sharing your experience!

If I understand what you're saying correctly:
If I eliminate the lower curve of the frame (side) it will help with the aerodynamic?
I thought this curve actually helped... ?
Is it because of the wheels that are in the way?

I'm very interested in adding this belly thing...
There's so many projects!!!

PS:You must have answered question like mine already... If so, please help me to find the infos on the forum
It may be faster just talkin' about it than searching.
If you look at current production vehicles,you'll see that,often,the flanks of the body are even with the outer surface of the wheels.
With a wrap-around airdam,the air is displaced over and around the sides.The side flow moves straight rearwards,and the wheels offer some sort of surface to support the flow.
If you bump out and lower the rocker panels enough,with skirts added later,the air will have a straight,basically uninterrupted path,with minimum turbulence.
The 1982 Pontiac Trans Am and IROC Camaro used this to trim drag around the wheel area.
Closing down the space between the wheel arch and tire is something you'll also see with modern vehicles.
They're also seeing reduced actual wheelhouse volume.
Today's Tesla S would be a good example of this optimization.
If you look at Cambridge University's CUER solar racing car you'll see an extreme effort to integrate the wheels and body.And Cambridge is rewarded with Cd 0.11 for their efforts!
Anything you do to blend the wheels will be rewarded.
PASY (07-16-2017)