View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #279 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
l'il update

The skinning process is proceeding.I've begun with the really-curved surfaces first.
I'm using 'project board' from Dollar Tree.It's a single thickness cardboard which I force over the edge of a sawhorse to create a pre-bent panel to wrap around the radii.
I tack it in place with 3/4-inch nails,mark for cutting,plus nailing lines,pull the nails,make the cuts,then hand nail on 2-inch centers on straight runs,and 1-inch centers around curves.
The outer surface of this skin will establish where I flush out the foam board which will fill the more flat areas.
I'll dope all this,both sides,with polyester resin,then do a single layer of glass on the outside.
I'm trying to keep the weight down.So I'm not gonna go crazy with body filler,and try for a 'factory' appearance.If the numbers look good at DARKO I'll be willing to invest more in aesthetics later.
All these surfaces will be submerged in a couple inches of turbulent boundary layer and I don't think cosmetics will make much difference to drag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went through a dress rehearsal for dropping the stinger and tail and there were no ugly surprises.Whew!
I got an 11-ft by 19-ft tarp on sale at Harbor Freight and rigged up extra shade and rain protection for the power tools.
I throw a door over a couple of sawhorses to create a makeshift work surface for the chop-saw and portable table-saw.
A large hack berry tree provides some additional shaded work area.(shade-tree mechanic)
I've been getting at least 8-hours of comparative analysis done each week at a local donut place.I get there at 5:00 AM and have a tall bistro table to work on while I poison myself with sugar,sodium, and nitrites.These aero numbers will help me understand where Spirit stands with respect to other vehicles.Where I started from and potentially where I can get to.
As of 2014,Spirit had identical drag to GM's 1982 Aero 2000 (Epcot) car and a little better than Kamm's lowest drag K-car.
Spirit's overall drag index (7.7575 sq-ft) was basically identical to a 2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 and lower than A Chevy Sprint and Toyota Starlet.Her mpg is impressive compared to them as well.
I'll have more on this sort of thing as I get materials better collated.
Sleep is gonna be weird until this trip is behind me so I just 'work' when I'm awake.
California98Civic (07-08-2017)