View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphDaCivic View Post
I think the answer is smaller batteries and on the road charging. One experimental bus line in Salt Lake City is using the bus stops to inductively charge small sets of batteries. Fewer batteries required. We could inductively charge cars while they drive. Technology is already here.
I think a better fast charger network would be good enough to make smaller batteries more feasible. Right now, a 200+ mile range EV is what I would need to replace my Prius for the driving I generally do. But if there were fast chargers every 30-40 miles along those drives, I could probably get away with an ~80 mile range EV (though ~120 would make the number of stops to charge more reasonable). Tesla of course has the range and charger network to support distance driving, but I don't have Tesla money, nor do I want a large luxury car.

Looking at charger maps, it looks like some parts of the northeast and west coast are about at that point. In Utah, though, they're quite rare. The closest Chademo or CCS charger to me is 52 miles away, with several more down in SLC. However, most of those are at dealers or parking garages, so availability after business hours is hit and miss.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread