View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
I realise you can change the air intake temperature, I have had cars where the air cleaner has a summer and winter position. But how and why would I adjust it on the move?
The why: if intake air is not very high, the theory goes, the beneifit to fuel economy from decreased pumping losses cannot occur. If it is too high, some fear engine damage. I typically went for 30-50*F over ambient.
The how: some guys have a shutter system on the grill, or a redirect system on the intake tube. Both are to allow selecting for hotter or cooler intake air (often using a solenoid or some sort of wire-pull switching mechanism).

I have gained a little more skepticism about my warm air intake in the last year, since I was forced to run without it for a while and was unclear what affect its removal had on my FE (possibly it got better, but there are too many variables to feel confident of that educated guess). So, I too would love to see the thesis on warm air and fuel efficiency that you mentioned. Can you find it?

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.