View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
Very interesting, thank you. How much of a difference does a front air dam make? I am considering making one, but I am not really a fan of the look. I would be OK with it though if I could gain at least 0.5 MPG on the highway. Is a gain of 0.5 MPG or more likely to happen?
I GOOGLED images of the '05 CIVIC.It looks like Honda may have already optimized the airdam on the car.
There is a chance that lowering the airdam down to around 3-inches of ground clearance might cut drag an additional 1% but it would strike every driveway ramp,curb,and parking lot barrier unless you were very vigilant in your driving.
$1,000,000 concept cars and supercars get around this with active aero and adjustable-height suspension systems.
I'd have you look under the next Tesla you can find and inspect how Musk's team engineered that belly.You'd be looking at the industry standard for a low drag belly and diffuser.
I can't tell you what difference in Cd it would make.But if you're interested in aft-body streamlining later on,the belly would insure really good flow back there,which in mandatory for boat-tailing to function to it's highest potential.
BamZipPow (07-18-2017), COcyclist (07-17-2017)