View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #96 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
^^^^ what jkv357 said. Holding a fuel efficiency competition with no real control over the amount of fuel people are using is senseless. You may as well just let people guess what their mileage was and use those numbers to decide who wins.
Michael. I don't have a problem with anything you stated in that last post. It's the quote from the paragraph in the above post that I have a problem with, and it is that statement that I was responding to defensively. What you said last was not the same as what you said above.

What our guys do is not just a "guess". And the competition is not senseless to the guys and gals who ride in it, even as it is being run today. We're better than that. We're more careful that that, and we know what we're doing with our riding and fueling and measuring. We all do this quite well for amateurs, and no, it's not accurate to the point that a scientist or an engineer might consider it accurate, and it could be true that it may cause contention at some point when it's really close; I'll agree to that, but when it gets to the point that I can tell you my mpg within .5 mpg before I even top up, or about how I'm running half-way through my tank, then that means I'm familiar with my vehicle and mpg, and most of the error is going to be an error that is consistent with most all my measurements; not one tank compared to another. And like I said, I don't have a problem with whatever method the boss wants to come up with for measuring fuel except that I'm not an ecomodder and not even really a hypermiler. I'm sort of an FE enthusiasts, so if it's much harder than connecting a battery, I'm probably going to need help with it or just not come and ride.