View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Alien Vehicles
Amazed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Kudos on such a good looking and working build! I think the wheels, the front arms connecting them to the body, and their lackof fairings mean the Cd your people calculated is probably optimistic. Looking for fairings for those wheels and arms is definitely one of the key places to improve that disappointing 69mpg you just recorded. Right now those tires and wspoked wheels are giant spinning mess-fans mucking up your aerobody's pretty nice shape.
Thanks so much California98Civic...kind words. The guys calculated CDa on the body alone, I think..RR and wheel drag has not been calculated yet. Essentially, the body is in flight at 7" ground clearance...with very little ground effect, mostly to counteract lateral gusts...and that part works well, in spite of screwing with roll center and CG. We are putting pants on later, after we get a little further on downforce with minimum drag. The A Arms are actually covered and profiled in the rear to a neutral wing.. I will tell you, after over-correcting for 7 years and repeated lessons/failures, I'm going real slow on change/add...baby steps. We do the highway testing near the ocean, and the headwinds can easily gust to 30kts...which is 100 actual at 70 mph :-) Thanks again...