View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #929 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
So I'm thinking about revamping my approach to this project.

Make the trailer to be only the bottom section of the extension and build a enclosed shell fer the top that would be attached to the truck. This would allow the trailer to articulate within the top without changing the angle of the top. Of course this would limit the places I could go because of the approach/departure angle of the driveways. I don't really worry about that with the current configuration at all since the whole trailer setup has a very good range of clearance.

What linitations do you experience with the boat tails that you with boat tails have now?
On the 2014 setup,I was a bit conservative with the diffuser angle and never experienced a ground-strike until I hit the submerged moguls at 'Lake' Bonneville.
For 2017 I've lowered the diffuser for the new tail and stinger.It's near the 2.8-degree up-slope sweet spot for a long diffuser.
The tail clears my low-water crossing in the driveway if I creep out slowly,but it will be awhile before it's far enough along to get it out on the road.So I haven't a clue about 'issues' yet.
One thing about the 2-wheel trailer project.On that,I had an articulated bedcover extension which hinged at the back of the bedcover and rode up or down on the trailer top as it pitched,which could be removed at a campsite along with the trailer for local commuting.It worked real good,even when the trailer 'rolled'/teetered on the ball-hitch.
BamZipPow (07-29-2017)