View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #285 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
inching ahead

Gross fabrication of the stinger is complete.It's down to body filler and doping.There's no glass.The top,center section will get a recycled aluminum access panel to help with assembly and handling.If all this can survive the trip up to Ogden it will have accomplished it's mission.(there could be some black-ops missions for it.We'll see)
Boat tail bottom is complete and primer-ready.
I'll start skinning my way 'up' to the top,completing each panel,through glass before re-positioning the tail.It's heavy and isn't good on my back to wrestle it.
Soon I'll need to attach the tail and get it up to the barn (concrete slab) to work out attachment points and clearances for the support pogos.
Also,bring the center stinger section to capture the geometry for the fake,single-wheel/fairing,so I can begin the composite work on that,plus it's attachment scenario.
85-F is the upper limit for body filler,before it goes off on the mixing board before I can place it.
95F is the upper limit for polyester resin,before it just gels in the cup,ruining both resin and brush.
After that I just hose off,and call it quits outside.There is no cooling down now outside although a cool front is on the way.
Inside,I continue to data-mine aero articles,which will help me appraise progress if any once at Darko.
With respect to the data,I've been taking concept car drag data,adding mirrors to the ones which lacked them,and putting wider tires to replace the 'scooter' tires some were measured with,and inflating those Cds by 9.6% to reflect the peculiar numbers Darko generated with respect to Gary's Prius vs A2 and GM Warren,Michigan tunnel.It takes some of the 'luster' off some of these uber-low-drag cars of yesterday.And it's this kind of data that I'll need to assess the numbers Spirit-II generates.As a 'camera' car,Spirit might have measured Cd 0.219 if measured at the A2 wind tunnel or GM in 2014.I would have liked to verify that.
My bother is going to make the trip over from Carson City,Nevada and will be videographer and crew member for Gumby79 and me.Freebeard too if he makes it in.
BamZipPow (07-29-2017), COcyclist (08-09-2017), freebeard (07-29-2017), gumby79 (07-29-2017)