View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Still needing to use a lot of brakes.

Since starting to use the techniques I have learnt here I find that I am still having to use the brakes quite a lot. I coast where appropriate, use DFCO when I can, and try to use as much forward looking and anticipation as possible. With the fact we use loads of roundabouts here, I coast up to them at a speed I can re-select gear and continue without stopping, but sight lines are usually pretty poor (deliberately, so traffic has to slow to almost a stop), and it is easy to be surprised by a vehicle with priority, necessitating a last minute stop.
Also, my home town of Kirkcaldy is built on a hill, as it slopes away from the Firth, so even though I use DFCO as I descend I still have to brake quite a fair amount. I try and coast, as I creep over the top of the hill, then as the speed increases I select a gear that will give me DFCO. As the revs drop below DFCO I change down, but still have to brake for the junction or roundabout. I don't have a lot of options, but at least my calipers will stay free and my discs, shiny!