View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Panther140
Panther140

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Frankly for your application I think this is the wrong solution; you already have a big V8 with a lot of power ready to go, if you press the gas pedal harder and it turns on the extra 4 cylinders, what is wrong with that? The efficiency of your engine actually goes up because those 4 pistons aren't dead weight anymore. The point of a mild hybrid is to provide some extra torque and stop start capabilities, but your engine is already very powerful and has quite a bit of fuel saving measures, so it would need a very powerful electric motor and battery to make a difference.

The parasitic losses while in V4 mode are less than the parasitic losses of the vehicle in V8 mode. The inertia of the pistons at a given speed does not change when you fire those cylinders. However, the side loading on them increases.

The pumping losses are increased in all 8 cylinders when the vehicle switches to V8 mode.

I think that you are right, though. The supercharger style mounting is not the best way to gain efficiency via an electric motor. I think that the biggest gain would be to use a system that would allow more direct regenerative braking.

The reason that I wanted to use an electric motor was because there are a lot of supercharger parts and concepts that would apply.