View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Here in the UK most cars are manual. We are now getting a few more automatics with the popularity of CVT (spit) and DSG (broke again has it?). Luxury cars, after years of offering automatics as an option, are now only automatics (Jaguar XJ, BMW 5 series), though the XE and XF offer manual as does the BMW 3 series.
After 25 years of driving manuals I bought an automatic (very cheap and knew its history (family member selling it). That was me hooked. I then drove automatics for the next 26 years then bought another manual. Much prefer an automatic in modern traffic conditions, especially city driving.
Here in the UK, if you pass your test in an automatic you are only allowed to drive an automatic. If you pass your test in a manual you can drive either.
I sat my PCV licence (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) so I could drive coaches. It was for automatics, a Class B licence, meaning I could only drive coaches with an automatic transmission, but that was all my company used in our area,