View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
What is the capacity on a really big air conditioner clutch? I ask because I just got done replacing the clutch on my Civic's AC and when it kicks in/out I feel it in the engine loading. It's not big but it's not nothing either, and it's a small AC system. I think a larger one could probably handle 15-20 HP.
Not sure. The mower PTO's are rated around 75 ft-lbs, so I'd guess about half that, judging from the size of AC clutches. Same type of clutch though.

One issue with that type of clutch, or so I presume, is that it's all-or-nothing. There's no "gently letting it out" to get spinning things up to the same speed. With a belt that can possibly slip, like it's designed with originally, it's probably not a huge deal, but with something like directly spinning up an engine it would be quite harsh. Might damage the clutch in short order, and would probably cause an unpleasant jolt to pass to be felt through the whole car.

It might work if done right, though.

I like the idea of the one-way clutch (think bicycle freewheel)...the engine is free to spin as much or as little as it likes until it catches up to the same speed as the motor/transmission, at which point it stops accelerating and starts pushing. Unless you had it floored, it would be pretty seamless, and completely seamless when it disengages. It would be wonderful for pulse and glide.