View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
ar5boosted
EcoModding Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Water vapor is LIGHTER than AIR, but it does take of space nevertheless, so the amount of oxygen-containing AIR being drawn into the cylinders will go down, the equivalence of running a rich AF-ratio.
Water is definitely heavier than air. I just know this because there was a huge different in weight when my 20-litre water-tanks were filled with water compared to when they were empty or filled with air. 20kg of difference thereabouts.

Water-Injection works by the water absorbing heat and turning to steam. When water vaporises it expands x1800 times and will give additional driving force to the pistons. That is more power, so you get a lighter throttle pedal and don't need much pedal force to drive around.

I got up to using 50%-water/50% fuel. So for 20 litres of water I used 20 litres of fuel.

The EPA for the vehicle was around 17mpg and I consistently got 21 mpg and the best was 26mpg.

This was on an old Mitsubishi L300 with a 4G63 SOHC Carburator engine. yes, it can work.

Best thing was the improvement in Torque. When the water was on, the engine felt like it gained 2-cylinders because it drove like a 6. You'd turn the water off after getting used to it, and you'd be wondering if the engine was broke because it felt gutless - haha.

However, with EFI vehicles it's harder. The computer will try to thwart all your good idea's. So when I tried on my next EFI car, it didn't work anywhere near as well.
future - probably a Prius

Last edited by ar5boosted; 08-04-2017 at 08:11 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ar5boosted For This Useful Post:
EfficiencyLover (09-13-2017), Isaac Zachary (12-13-2020), t vago (08-04-2017)