View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAh View Post
From what I know, a lead-acid battery takes some time to reverse the chemistry and start charging after current is applied. I don't know how long this time actually is, but I have heard this is one major reason against regenerative breaking with lead-acid batteries in an EV. This leaves even less time for the alternator to charge my battery, but in some magical way the equation isn't too bad in the end. Most of my travels are done in about one hour and I always have power enough the following days to start my engine. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you I always start the engine with the electric starter, since the Saabs have a frewheel clutch in the gearbox. On the other hand, my engine usually starts at the first piston stroke. :-)ot very good for safety reasons and are also illegal (and easy for the police to recognise)..
I've had two vehicles were I used extensive EOC and engine off at lights (16mph is my avg), I find that the alternator is more than capable of keeping the battery charged. If I plug in my charger, I get to full within about 30mins, the same time it takes to charge cars I don't EOC.

In both instances, I've just connected supercaps across the battery terminals. The idea is that with less internal resistance, current should flow from the cap first, without any need for fancy circuitry. The cap will also charge first. Car audio guys have been doing this for decades.