View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Learning my route.

I drive the same route twice a day, five days a week. Two miles out and two miles back, early morning and lunchtime.
I am really beginning to refine how I manage the junctions and roundabouts. I try to accelerate up to 30 mph, and from that speed I know exactly where to slip into neutral, so I arrive at the choke point at the exact speed I want.
I have also refined my sight lines. I know if I check the adjoining road, along past the trees, if it is clear it will be clear when I get to the roundabout.
It is the same for DFCO. There is no point in sticking car back in gear if revs will be too low or if a lower gear will slow me too quickly.
There is one particular roundabout in a dip. I use DFCO, in third, as I approach it, then if it is clear I know when to slip back into neutral and coast through the roundabout and a fair bit up the other side.
There is a huge difference between the traffic flows between morning and lunch time, and I decided, today, to make a slight route change for the later trip. There is a roundabout, with an uphill approach. Sometimes there are quite a few cars entering from the right (they have priority), and if you are second or third in line, with a timid driver at the front, there can be a bit of a delay in getting out. I have decided to go a slightly longer road round, but at least the traffic keeps moving.
It is a steep learning curve.
Did you experienced Hypermilers find the same?