View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The Bolt EV has a small amount of regen in D when you lift your foot on the accelerator, and it has regen integrated onto the brake pedal. It is correct about the switch on the back of the left side of the steering wheel.

Driving the Bolt EV in L greatly increases the regen on the accelerator, and that makes the steering wheel switch less of an increase.
Most of the comments on the Bolt forum suggest there is no regen in D mode when using the brake pedal. Annoyingly, I didn't pay attention when I took one for a test drive.

One commenter said there is regen using the brake pedal, but that it's very limited, less than driving in L mode and letting off the pedal.

What I don't get is the button activated brake on the steering wheel. Why confuse people with 3 ways to decel (let off accelerator, press steering wheel button, step on brake pedal)?

Anyhow, I'm still annoyed the car doesn't have a coast mode. There is no reason for it not to have that.

The chief engineer said D mode has creep because that's what people are used to. Manually shifted cars don't have creep, so I see no reason to build that feature into an EV. Creep is a consequence of how automatic transmissions work, not a feature.

Can someone straighten me out once and for all on the brake/regen thing? Can using the brake pedal max out the regen capability, or is it limited to something less than driving in L mode?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!