Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #172 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I drive for as long as I have fuel, and use the bathroom and stretch when filling the car. This is usually every 400 miles or 5.5 hours.

The problem is that "quick" charges aren't quick. They are about an hour for 120 miles of range. You end up stopping for 1hr every 2 hrs, which is extremely slow.
For superchargers at least, the charging rate mostly depends on the battery size and it's state of charge. 10 minutes should get ~60 miles of range, and 25 minutes get ~120 miles of range. The more you charge, the slower you charge.

Supercharging Tesla Model S 60 kWh Versus 85 kWh - Video + Graphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I stop for coffee and food when I stop for petrol, about every 5.5 hours.

My longest trip in a day was 1,200 miles. Santa Barbara > Santa Monica > Gresham OR > Salem The trip would have taken several days in an EV, and I had a van full of people.

In May I drove 560 miles 1 way Vancouver, WA > Twin Falls, ID. I was on the company clock, so they wouldn't have been OK with me spending 3+ hrs charging on the trip. Not only that, but I was already running 2hrs late since I hadn't planned to drive (bridge to the airport was shut down due to wreck).

I will need to drive to Medford (300 miles) occasionally, which would require at least 2 charges, possibly 3. Completing the trip in an EV would be made more enjoyable and less time consuming if I could charge at a hotel.

It make sense to drive anything less than about 400 miles since it takes time to get through the airports, and then travel to your destination.
In that case, an EV wouldn't work for you. But... I think you could do ~10-20 minutes of charging per hour of driving with enough superchargers along you're route.
The Following User Says Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-12-2017)