View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
Someone I know who is an aeronautical engineering/physics major told me that as well. It fits Phil Knox's streamlining template perfectly though. Tuft testing will tell me in the end when I get around to it.
The streamlining template is a reasonable first guess and an excellent one-minute introduction, not a Holy Grail to preserve. The rest of the aerodynamics lessons are about exceptions and other considerations, and how to handle them.
BTW, the NACA duct is a handy way to bring in a bit of air at a convenient location, with minimal disturbance along the surface compared to a scoop. For serious quantities, a nose opening is better. Put the effort into making it open and close while staying slick at all settings, and building a diffuser. The air exit should also be a gently tapered duct.
As usual, the devil is in the details.

Other solutions to your doorway dilemma might involve seat mods, a special "sled" stowed by the door, and/or a deformable body section, taking advantage of the self-hinging possibilities in Coroplast belly pans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (08-18-2017), The Toecutter (08-17-2017)