View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
The streamlining template is a reasonable first guess and an excellent one-minute introduction, not a Holy Grail to preserve.
True. I am curious as to what others think the ideal boattail would look like for the parameters of this first body design, and why.

Quote:
The rest of the aerodynamics lessons are about exceptions and other considerations, and how to handle them.
Once I get it put together, tuft testing could tell me where the problem areas are. I'm hoping this first design gets a 0.25 Cd or below. Do you think this is a realistic goal? The open wheels, exposed brake calipers/rotors, exposed suspension arms, and exposed rider head are definitely going against it.

Quote:
BTW, the NACA duct is a handy way to bring in a bit of air at a convenient location, with minimal disturbance along the surface compared to a scoop. For serious quantities, a nose opening is better. Put the effort into making it open and close while staying slick at all settings, and building a diffuser. The air exit should also be a gently tapered duct.
As usual, the devil is in the details.
I may do a nose opening near the center of the front where a high pressure zone is expected. This could allow rider cooling with minimal drag.

Quote:
Other solutions to your doorway dilemma might involve seat mods, a special "sled" stowed by the door, and/or a deformable body section, taking advantage of the self-hinging possibilities in Coroplast belly pans.
When I finally go to a body designed for the best possible drag, I've considered making it removable using the kinds of quick release fasteners for roadbike wheels. Another idea I've been considering is keeping the open wheels for the next iteration, but installing rack and pinion steering to allow me to make the body narrower and cut the frontal area to 0.45 m^2.

I can worry about that later though...