View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I need to wait for my motor to get here for that. The controller and display I use have a watt meter and speedometer.
I just reached 29 mph today on flat ground. No motor. no body. The only aeromod is wheel disks. It was my first time testing the new Schwalbe Tryker 20x1.5" front tires I put on it to replace my Maxxis Hookworms. This was during a 30 mile ride to the next town over and back. I'm really looking forward to a body shell on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/okpete...7651905111646/
This a popular design currently being used. See The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center
I use the cut and tuck method too. Start with cereal box cardboard 1/4 scale models. Sailplane designs are very similar. Air intake along the canopy cowl and exit behind the head. Cooling at the neck is very effective.

"Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed" by Joseph Katz is useful also.
I like this design a lot. I first came across it on the internet about 2 months ago. The doorway clearance issues prevent me from using it for my build without radically altering it, and given that my trike is a wide 39", my version would likely have a frontal area around 0.75 m^2 were I to replicate it.

I need to find a copy of that book as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Try to think of this project as an easy-to-modify experiment to get familiar with the issues and how they affect your enjoyment on the road. I have drawings for faired and unfaired pedal trikes on my board, and the chassis have distinctly different proportions, suspension, gearing and braking, for very good reasons. Adding power has similar effects.
It is a rolling science project for sure, but it is also going to meet the majority of my transportation needs. In the long term(possibly this winter) I plan to make a 200 mile trip to Austin, TX in it. The motor I am putting in it is going to produce 4 kW or more, and the top speed will be in excess of 45 mph, maybe up to 55 mph depending on gearing.