View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_t View Post
(composting toilet, queen sized bed, fridge etc)

What I haven't detailed yet are my hair brained plans re electric and solar...

So when I'm reading through these aerodynamic discussions, I'm considering not just the aero side, but also the impact on solar panel mounting and output.

Sure, it's probably going to cost me somewhere around $60-90k to do this, as well as a fair bit of my labour, but people routinely spend more than that for equivalent gas guzzling machines (or just an ordinary caravan). And I love the engineering challenges associated with building something myself - something that will most definitely be unique
(definitive design criteria)

Here is the motorhome design I showed earlier as a class-C.

While my donor chassis of choice was the Beetle, this could easily be a Sprinter van. The defining characteristic would be a second door frame cut into a wedge and added to the existing frame (aligned on the hinge line) so the door seals to it. This eliminates the dogleg most Class-Cs have.

You'll notice the geodesic layout can be read as diamonds, hexagons or triangles. The diamond layout define bands that run around the body. If the altitude of the diamond equals the width of your flexible solar panel they would integrate well.

Instead of folding solar panels, perhaps lightweight reflectors that would concentrate on the [minimal] panels?