View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
The President stared down the sun until it hid behind the moon.
Oh, just stop. He glanced up for a second, stepped back into the shade of a column and put on the glasses and then stood with his wife and watched for a minute.

I wanted the full eclipse experience and there wasn't any traffic on the way up the day before, so I went through downtown Corvallis instead of retracing my original route. That added 30-45 minutes; but then traffic was backed up as well in Harrisburg. It took longer to get past the cement plant than it did downtown Corvallis. It was all headed South and there was nothing almost all the way to I-5. But here was a steady stream of traffic west from I-5 to North Coburg Road and it grid-locked at the intersection North of town.

The only explanation I heard was the Brownsville Music Festival that saw 15,000 people a day, but that ended on the 18th.

One of my favorite Youtube comentators put on a colander and went all Pastafarian about people getting excited about the eclipse. But I think it brings people face-to-face with primordial reality, and people crave that.

What do you think of this:

Gizmodo: Today's Solar Eclipse Left a Path of Nightmarish Traffic in Its Wake

The image is credited to Google Maps/Gizmodo; but shows the path of the totality stretching from Seattle to Portland. Fake news. Sad.