Thread: No shoes.
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Yeah. Flip flops are bad biz. The risk of them getting tangled in a pedal during an emergency is not a risk you should be taking, however carefully you drive (and as this is Ecomodder, I'm sure we all drive more carefully (and slower! (triple parenthesis!)) tham most!).
Flip-flops and other loose, open footwear, are the only thing explicitly forbidden to wear while driving in my country. Barefoot is accepted instead.

Quote:
I do drive barefoot sometimes, but it feels strange. I've got wide feet and wideset stubby toes, so I can heel and toe with my big toe and my pinky. Which is entertaining, but the rest of the time, my toes are wriggling all over the place.
It might be easier to do the punta-tacco while barefoot, but I'm not really willing to try.

Quote:
My favorite driving shoes are indoor soccer shoes or wushu shoes (thin, flat soles, flexible uppers) or aqua-socks. Aqua-socks are the next best thing to naked feet.... better than socks, because they have good grip... and they protect your feet from the cold, to boot.
Had to Google-check it to see what an aqua-sock is. Have already seen a handful of surfers (and wannabe-surfers too) wearing those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
On a couple of occasions, I have driven an automatic after months of driving a manual, and accidentally slammed on the brake. My muscle memory has me pushing the clutch in to coast. Stupid muscle memory.
My grandfather told me he had similar reactions when he drove automatics from his friends a couple of times before he got his first automatic. I have never experienced this when I drove automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
The first time I went to do an emergency stop with an automatic I used both feet and went for the clutch and brake! And it was one of those ones with a big pedal.

I caught it with both feet, and boy did it stop!!

Luckily all my recent automatics had standard size brake pedals so no chance of a repeat.
Even in those "semi-automatic" manuals with a fully-automated clutch, the only one with a standard-sized brake pedal I saw was an Opel Corsa C. All others had that wider pedal.