View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #103 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Exhaust channel deflector and new record tank 38.9 MPG

I made this partial exhaust channel deflector a few months ago, but wasn't motivated to post about it yet. That deflector is 1.5" tall if I remember correctly, was originally planning on .5", but that just looked way too tiny.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	22514
I had been planning undertray flow management for a while, but just recently I actually DID something about it. In a page far past, (page 8 to be exact) I posted this picture on my plans for flow management. It helps to have some point of reference, as my real picture is not the best.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Undertray flow management ideas.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	22516

Pro tip: Don't try to bend one piece of coroplast into an aerodynamic shape, like a bowed out V or U. It doesn't work. Instead, merge two pieces together so you can get the point across better. I mean really, you would think I would know this crap by now. I guess not.

Just recently I have started my long highway commute again, but much more frequently this time, so lots of driving! I am pretty sure the deflector has made a difference, as I am pretty much always able to coast to a certain point in the highway while keeping the speed at or above 55. Before it was a crap shoot. That has certainly helped mileage, but I didn't have any record trips this tank. In fact, I left the grille block on too much and the fan ran a lot, hurting mileage a bit. On other tanks I have managed to have almost exclusively my highway commute on them, this tank was not like that. I had both my highway commute and work commute in this tank, and I still reached a new record tank of 38.9 MPG!

Pre-heating the engine helped reduce the impact of my much shorter commute on the tank mileage, while the deflector improved coasting just a bit so I could coast over hills where I wasn't always able to. My departure times are flexible(when I can tolerate it. I just want to go home!) and I can definitely optimize my departure times to avoid ridiculous traffic.

So, that being said, my next mileage update will hopefully be the shattering of another one of my goals: The 40 MPG tank.

Happy modding!

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...