View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Have any of you sold on eBay?

I was finally going to get rid of everything I did not actually use, like cold clothing, when I moved. I kept telling myself I was selling my old Army stuff when I left the service, but did not do much more than put everything in a duffel bag until I started packing. You are allowed to post fifty "free" auctions each calendar month. I put about forty items on-line, relisted ten when they expired, and found more items I will eventually post.

Both eBay and PayPal take a portion. I tried to follow eBay's suggestions, but isometimes that got weird, and occasionally the recommended shipping did not make sense, but I do not have a postal scale.

I barely wore my winter boots and it recommended five dollars, while they are $150+ new. The rule of thumb is 60%, so ninety?

Recommended shipping charges were weird and one person bought three things from me, but there was no way to combine shipping. I made $67 on six items before fees, a couple of dollars on supplies, and $27.05 on shipping.

So, I spent hours and earned forty dollars. EBay wants me to repost everything, but until the First of the month it costs 30¢ up front.

My profit margin seems too thin to take that large of a cut.

I could set up a store and post another two hundred auctions for "free"--after paying $25, so that works out to 10¢ each. If I sold 12% each time, I would need to start the month with 94 unique auctions to post 250 for my $25 investment. In theory I could sell 30 items for $335, spend $200 on shipping, and make $110 after paying that $25.

The clear winners are eBay, PayPal, and the post office.

I sold a weapon cleaning kit. EBay recommended I listed it for $5.87, with $7.64 a Buy It Now Price, and $7.20 shipping--supposedly.

Someone paid me $19.34, but $7.64 + $7.20 = $14.84.

I just watched and they said Amazon is usually a better place to sell. The manufacturer of that weapon cleaning kit is selling ones like it for $59 with free shipping. My main problem with selling on Amazon is that it will not accept the password I use to log in.

Does anyone have any experience selling on eBay, Amazon, or elsewhere? Have a great day!