View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
GillyF59
EcoModding Lurker

Freebeard; Clearly this is a work in progress and my first attempt. Unfortunately I didn't not take pictures of the truck caps before dismantling them into usable pieces. I used the front and rear portions of the cap for the top and bottom. If I recall correctly one factory cap height was 42". All material used so far is 1" aluminum square tubing not angle stock.

Thank you for the picture you posted, I have seen it many times. That picture and Orbywan's thread on the AeroRV lead me here.

I have added so curved bows to the top section thou the curvature still isn't as much as your picture. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't Class 8 trucks seen decent returns on their very linear designed tail.

My thoughts for the final tail/box cavity design is for it to have a 2" receiver mount that will slide into a hitch mount in a custom 4" tube bumper/air storage tank. The tail would suspended from a rack inside that would haul coolers and what not. I understand that sacrifices to a perfect design will have to made in order to have the tail easily removable for the hunting portion of the van's duty.

My assumption is that a fair attempt is better than no attempt. I realize it's not perfect but I'm having fun and I believe all Ecomodders have the same goal; Try to burn less fuel. I look forward to further discussions and feedback.

Thanks, Jonathan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3738.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	22556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3739.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	22557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3741.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	22558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	22559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	22560  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GillyF59 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-02-2017), freebeard (08-31-2017)