View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 AM   #671 (permalink)
s_t
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Template presumes taper in plan to equal the taper in elevation, and a half-circular cross section. The racer's aphorism is "It isn't how you punch the hole in the air, it's how you close the hole in the air." IOW the rear is more important than the front.

That said the bluff forebody of the Template insures the flow is uniform enough that it can support the taper without shedding vortexes. Any disruption such as the windshield header you mention can spoil airflow 'downstream'.
Thanks. Been looking at more modelling and theory to try and understand it, and seems I was wrong about the 'high pressure' just above the windscreen. It's high velocity; which is low pressure I understand. But the transition between roof and windscreen would have to be rounded enough to prevent turbulence? Which i gather is what shedding vortexes are? Any guidelines on acceptable radii in this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why not go with the curved header and then a Tropfenwagen style rear with a flat top and tapered sides? It would have more interior space.
To avoid taking this thread off-topic I'll reply to this on my other thread (35515).

The Following User Says Thank You to s_t For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-02-2017)