View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Fuel economy figures and wishful Euro thinking

Currently I own an Accent GSi 1300 manual, 2005. I'm getting around 42mpg UK with premium petrol plus octane booster, along with 40psi tyres and a few aero mods & LEDs all round but here's the thing..
if you look in one place it's supposed to average 47, according to the manufacturer it'll do 44. If you believe others real life MPG is 36 and my 3 year average before the OB was 38.6/38.8..
And another thing, co2 per mile is 145 for mine, yet with the Getz with the identical engine and transmission and worse aero - that's rated at 125! and cheaper to tax..
I have the strong suspicion we're getting shafted over both mpg & co2/m by Hyundai.
I *know* we are by Citroen - my parents recently replaced a c3 1.6hdi diesel with a practically identical car rated at 80mpg imp *average*, the previous car rated at 70, managed 58mpg so the new one let's say 65mpg should be ok.. it barely managed 50mpg.. the dealer claimed 78mpg, but wouldn't tell how they managed it..
Anyone else run into this sort of blatant misreporting and wildly variable figures for the same vehicle?
80mpg is simply cloud cuckoo land especially when you compare the flatulent lump that is the C3 with something like the Centurion..
Then there's these Euro codes, mines apparently Euro 3 but the kappa engine which is basically the same is Euro 4. They're both 12v, both MPFI, both just a Cat and two lambda sensors.. they really can't be that different..