View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
The beginning of the belly

I have finally, four years after I bought it - and 46 months after I discovered the thing was missing - replaced the the belly pan under the engine in my HCH1.

Material is coroplast from Home Depot. About $14 per sheet. Don't flame me for paying, I have just enough social anxiety that even thinking about calling campaign offices for permission to take abandoned signs gives me hives.

I'm not worried about sagging; I put the corrugations crossways on the car to provide a bit more rigidity that way, and a gentle curve where the forward edge rises to meet the existing under-bumper tray stiffens things up in that direction.

I provided a generously-sized trapdoor for access to the oil filter and drain plug. I'm pretty sure that a quickie-change place probably tore the old one off and discarded it; that appears to be a recurring theme with people who complain that their undertrays are gone. I use a Walmart near me, but I know the guys that work on my car.

I was able to use the existing mounting points for the original tray; I bought a bulk bag of 50 push-through trim anchors specifically for this project and extending belly panning aft.

Pictures are forthcoming, as soon as I can build a link to them.

[edit] Pix!

The approximate size of the sheet I needed to install. The corners needed trimming but overall about 35x27" (90 x 68.5 cm)

The yawning chasm where the undertray should have been.

The new tray in place. The trailing edge of the bumper's undertray had been missing its buttons for a long time too, so everything was quite droopy and sad-looking under there. This has neatened things up a lot.

The maintenance hatch. For anything more involved than oil changes, the whole thing will have to come down.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 09-05-2017 at 08:25 PM..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
aardvarcus (09-06-2017), aerohead (09-09-2017), BamZipPow (09-13-2017), Daox (09-05-2017), Ecky (09-06-2017), mcrews (09-08-2017), mpg_numbers_guy (04-30-2018), oldtamiyaphile (11-07-2017), redpoint5 (09-08-2017)