View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Do you think snowblower systems are not designed to tolerate the heat because they are designed to work when it is below freezing?
Not sure what you are asking. You've got some embedded assumptions in that question that I am having trouble unpacking.

Gas rigs have a shroud around the intake and exhaust to heat the intake air, so jetting isn't necessarily different than for summer. One carburetor for both summer and winter engine models would be cheaper, too. Just a different housing - air cleaner for summer, heat stove for winter. One could make an engine cheaper for winter with shorter cooling fins, less cooling air shrouding, shorter cooling fan fins, etc. but I am not sure it would be worth the inventory and tooling costs to do two separate lines.

The 120V corded electric one I have was cheap, so it would overheat when overloaded just like a corded electric lawnmower or a shop vac or similar would. It has a thermoelectric switch in it so it just clicked off. Wait a minute or few and it would turn back on again. Maybe they used a smaller cooling fan and/or motor and were depending on colder air to keep it from overheating too much, but I don't know. I haven't torn it apart. Pretty sure it is a simple brushed "universal" motor in there - series wound motor of the same basic construction as a series wound DC motor but with laminated stator and rotor rather than solid to minimize eddy current heating when used with AC.