View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Ground connections clean?
Can't believe I didn't think to check this. I just ran out and had a look with my multimeter, but all the ground straps were reading no resistance from one terminal to the other. Also checked between various points on the engine and body to the negative battery terminal, but found no problems.

There is that electrical corrosion gunk all around the positive battery terminal. I'm thinking of hitting that with baking soda+water, but please tell me if that's not a smart idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
How cheap were those knock sensors? I broke the OEM sensor in my dad's s2000 so we decided to see if an aftermarket $7 one would do. It didn't, knock sensor code popped up. More than $100 later, it is fixed now.
I got the Beck/Arnley sensors at $78 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
What i'm thinking this might be is carbon build up on the pistons effectively raising the compression ratio above OE spec to the point where the ignition maps are to advanced. How about running a compression test?
I'll ask some people I know if any of them have a compression gauge. Last 4 tanks have been premium (but car can take 87) and we put Techron in the last tank and Seafoam in this tank. Again, also did the Seafoam Spray can at the throttle body but no effect. Some guy on the Lexus forum had the same issue and poured 4 cans of Gumout into 4 consecutive gas tanks and the light went out. I bought that stuff and we will do that going forward, but not driving it much because of all the problems so that could be a while.

Current Plan:
- Get access to a compression gauge
- Diagnose & fix the coolant leak in passenger compartment (probably heater core)
- Baking soda + water the positive battery terminal??

Thanks for help every1, please let me know if I'm missing anything.