View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
AdrianD
EcoModding Lurker

34MPG in a 2002 Grand Cherokee diesel

Hello everyone!
I've had a topic in the past about my old car, a diesel Cherokee XJ, which ended up grenading the engine and was replaced by something heavier and automatic, which doesn't sound like would have better economy. A 2002 Grand Cherokee with the same drivetrain as the 2002-2006 Sprinters sold in North America.

In the recent years I've driven it 40k miles and had quite a few long highway trips on the same roads, so I could test and compare the economy. All tests are done in the same section of road, 645km total, with 220km of national roads (villages, passing slower cars etc).

Best tanks on the first two summer trips:
8.1 liters / 100km (29.04 MPG), same as advertised.

Then I installed a front lip and lower grille cover and the best MPG on a winter trip:
7.4 liters / 100km (31.78 MPG)

The lip got messed up in storage and I installed a different one and plugged some holes around the radiator, as it was summer and I did not want to cover the entire lower grille:
7.43 liters / 100km (31.65 MPG)

Next was a full section of highway in Austria and Germany, including passing semis, some driving done at 75mph while 90% of the time it's stuck at 60mph () as for all trips and managed a personal best:
6.89 liters / 100km (34.13MPG).
I filled up to the first click of the nozzle, it seemed strange to use that little fuel, then filled up again and added 3 liters of fuel.

Some pictures right before the last trip, please ignore the messed up front bumper:

What next? Some side panels for the lip to cover more of the tire? Rear tire spats? Some sort of rear spoiler? Definitely not another car as this is my weekend warrior to keep up with Wranglers on trails and when called for hauls it's decent share of stuff.

In February I will be going to Austria again, so I can test my highway mileage again.

The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianD For This Useful Post:
101Volts (12-11-2018)