View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC View Post
I don't think the block heater will help. Certainly the effect of the thermostat will be much more. The normal 'cold' start here occurs somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius. Once the coolant was already on the gauge, which I later discovered was 55 degrees.
I'll bet it would. I use my block heater whenever I can, even when it is 80+(27 C) degrees failheit outside. It was 80 this morning and I preheated for just about 2 hours and got the coolant temp up to 110(43C) before starting. If you are doing short trips, a block heater will help a lot!

Quote:
How much gain would you expect to be between the tyre pressure, zero toe, and thinner oil? (Not interested in alternator delete for a wide variety of reason)
I would guess around 4%.

I'll bet your biggest gain would be from not using A/C as much as possible. I have driven in 100 degree(38C) weather without using A/C. I wouldn't recommend it especially since that was a black on black car, but it is doable. Just take your shirt off and bring some cold water to drink.

Quote:
No instrumentation, though I can reliably feel the fuel cut points, so I've just been driving at high loads in the highest gear I can for any given situation. Typically this results in about half to three-quarter throttle with up shifting at 2000-3500 depending on the acceleration needed. Sometime I'm in top gear at 45km/h (I skip gears, can't remember when I last used fourth on the flat)
Make sure you double clutch when skipping gears.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 09-21-2017 at 03:28 PM..