View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The manufacturer isn't liable for what you do with it. And we could go on quite a ways about what constitutes towing attributes. What can do what.

And I don't know where you've gotten the impression a 6.7L ISB doesn't require injector replacement at some point. All Diesel engines will.
They would get sued if they put the ratings higher and there was an accident. People sue car makers here all the time and win for what is clearly fault and neglect of the drivers involved. The people involved have limited money and the jurors see a crying family and big stack of money and give them a little peice of it.

I don't think the 6.7 injectors are indestructible but some injector places have put out their failure rate is 10 times less than the 5.9 common rail injectors are or ever have been. The 5.9 CR injectors are the one big black eye in the history of Cummins diesels in pickups. I would have probably not bought any 03-08 knowing how bad and how expensive the problem. The poor factory filtration didn't help matters but clearly the injectors needed an upgrade as well which they did on the 6.7.

It's good for me that so many love the pre-emission CR 5.9 anyway. Makes my old tired motor worth as much as a much fresher 6.7 out of a wreck. I probably will just sell the whole truck before it needs injectors and just get the better cab as well with the 2010up model. I have got my truck up to 20.9 mpg on a tank not towing and 12.5 towing the big camper so was pretty happy about that. My wife doesn't like the space much inside though.