View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I don't want my kids to be limited in what vehicle they can purchase.
That's a good point.

Quote:
A manual transmission is also far, far more reliable and difficult to burn up in the snow, mud, pulling a trailer etc... And... if you do manage to ruin the friction disc... very cheap to replace compared to an automatic transmission.
Though I'm not so sure about a manual being so much more reliable under heavy loads, the easier repairability is still a valuable asset, especially in a 3rd-world hell pit like Brazil or if one gets stranded in the middle of nowhere and the only mechanic readily available in the area is more familiarized with motorcycles and old farm tractors

Quote:
I believe the U.S. market is dominated by automatics because we have more expendable income to fix them...
Considering that some bus operators here in Brazil have replaced automatic transmissions with manuals, it makes sense too.

Quote:
Perhaps people here are lazy as well, but the higher profits the industry makes is the main reason in my opinion.
Lazyness may be a highly-contributing factor, but it's undeniable the marketing departments of the big-three have led to that.