View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Recommended rear shape and/or ducting
I have the following project trike (4-seater, like an extended Polaris Slingshot, with 3 wheels to make it street legal as a motorcycle) and am working on the tail end.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1152.

I made that admittedly amateur sheet foam tail myself, but am curious if I, say, should be using a more or less aggressive tapering angle and also curious what I should do for the (now open) top. Any ideas?

Will post more pics at different angles when I get home.
Since your other thread has zero response I'll respond here.

Putting side-by-side seating in the rear could potentially create bad vehicle dynamics. It also compromises plan taper. If you are committed to a four-seater, then — Oh, well. Else, a central rear seat, moved forward, with footroom under the elbows of those in front .

It's hard to comment without an indication of the [presumed] door cut-lines. The front fender cutouts seem low and wide, but it's hard to know without a better understanding of the cross-section through the front suspension.

You are trying to make a aerodynamic shape from flat sheets. They will fight you every step of the way. It may be better to make an eggcrate from foam strips and then carve the outer face of the eggcrate to shape.

At least make one continuous curve down the side without steps on the edges. That back-facing rectangle should be an oval.