View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
behind the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesheiman View Post
Any clue how to improve this to increas
aerodynamics while ventilating the cabin?
I am curious if the rear roof angle is ideal and if there is an ideal hole placement/size in the back to empty air into the vacuum behind the car from the cabin.

Edit this is **not** for an existing model car, but for a prototype I have built from scratch (see pic, which I have repost outside of Facebook to ensure it is visible)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApZC8QFk-svmgXIZdrsgSxXP-kV8
Some thoughts:
*streamlining is to reduce pressure drag.
*Pressure drag is a function of separated flow.
*To reduce the pressure drag you need to attack flow separation.
*Behind the front wheels is a major source.The fenders can be extended into side pods,like Peraves used on their Monotracer,which will add streamlining and crush zone protection in the event of a side impact.
*Behind the notched roof.
*Behind the abruptly-chopped body rear.
*The sharp corners on the upper edges are a source of vorticity,also a source of drag.
*You'll be disappointed to know that it's a dead end,attempting to fill the turbulent wake by injecting cabin air.
*The solution is always to get the air around and to the rear of whatever you have without allowing the flow to be tripped into eddies and turbulence.Once the air is turbulent,there is absolutely no way to recover any of the kinetic energy of this swirling mass.The less air which passes through the body the better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to cabin ventilation,you can run a ram-air tube from the forward stagnation area of the trike and duct this high pressure air into the cabin,or harvest fast-moving air with a NACA submerged inlet,ducting this converted,high pressure air in.
BamZipPow (10-08-2017), COcyclist (10-18-2017)