Thread: DMV Rant
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
DMV Rant

I just finished a phone hearing to see if my license will be suspended. The judge said she would need to review the relevant laws and issue a determination by Nov 13th.

Last January I received notification from the Oregon DMV that one of my vehicles was randomly selected to require proof of liability insurance during a specific date range. I glossed over the details of the letter and just thought they wanted proof of insurance, so I had my dad submit a copy of his current insurance which covers the vehicle.

Then I received a letter saying the proof of insurance was denied because it didn't cover the vehicle during the specific dates in January, and that my license would be suspended until I could provide proof of insurance during that date for that vehicle OR submit a written request for a hearing.

I submitted a request for a hearing and then called the DMV to get more details as to what this was about. Adam answered the phone said I must provide proof of insurance for the previous date, or my license would be suspended. I explained that the vehicle was parked on the family farm and was not being driven during that time, and that later my dad insured the vehicle when he began driving it. Adam just reiterated what the letter said, that my license would be suspended until I provided proof of coverage during this time frame. I asked to speak to his manager, and he said he didn't have one. Then I said something snarky like "wow, I"m speaking to the director of the DMV directly", and he hung up. I called back, and upon asking why he hung up on me, he hung up again. He then refused to answer the phone for at least the next 5 minutes that I tried.

Next I went online to find out more about this new to me law that randomly selects people to require proof of insurance for specific vehicles, but didn't find anything. Instead I found a complaint form and commented about Adam hanging up on me twice instead of being helpful. I got a call back very quickly from a manager (Adam's manager?) saying not to make a big deal out of this, that I didn't need an attorney or a hearing, and all I needed to do was download a form that isn't readily available to the public, give a written reason why the vehicle didn't have insurance, and then mail it in.

Well, I did all that. I submitted the form saying that the vehicle wasn't being driven on public roads, wasn't in my possession, and that the vehicles I had been driving were all insured.

The next communication I received was a notice of a phone hearing by judge.

Don't you feel good knowing your DMV fees are making a real difference at keeping you safe? We need to remove insured drivers with clean driving records from the roadways to make room for the other 20% of drivers that don't have insurance, or the 15% that are not licensed to drive.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-09-2017 at 03:32 PM..