View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
nickritter1992
EcoModding Lurker

98 civic mods are hurting mpg

hi everyone I have been lurking around the forums for some time now I have some unsolved questions first I will walk you through my setup and whats happening

1998 civic LX 215k miles 5 speed manual

when I first bought the car I was getting around 36mpg combined (70hw/30 town) recently my mpg has been going down having done basic maintenance not sure if its because of winter and gas blends but now I'm getting 33mpg with no driving habits changed any ways....

maintenance done

switched from 185/65/14 tires to 175/65/14 tires at 50psi 23.5 inches in diameter to 23 inches in diameter I thought the width would help me

New primary O2 with ebay header (old manifold was cracked and sensor went bad) plugged the cat I left the secondary 02 sensor out

changed oil and filter
timing belt done at a shop timing was set
new clutch
not sure about plugs and wires but it doesn't have any problems idling

cold air intake, I've only read people gaining mpg on these cars with this I have even see a VS on a geo metro forum and there was zero difference in mpg

I am wondering, anyone from the north notice a 3mpg loss from summer blend gas to winter gas ? also I am considering stepping up to a 175/80/14 (26inch tire) to help my gearing, 60mph is 2600rpm I'm having a feeling losing 0.5 inches on my tire diameter hurt me as well I'm considering putting the car on hondata s300 as well and tuning for mpg via Wideband 02 I haven't seemed to find anyone on here who has done so I did this in my 90 Ls1/t56 Rx7 with hp tuners and I get 29mpg hw on e85 makes 470rwhp/490ftlbs all motor 370 C.i. runs 17:1 afr down the highway so this 33mpg is frustrating I've also considered removing the PS pump on my car for a mpg bump

I drive with the cruise control on everywhere

any advise would be great I'm really considering the taller tire, from a 23inch to 26inch if anyone has fit such a tire on a car please share ! and also share mpg gains
also considering removing ps pump and trying to do the warm air intake
I did all these mods at once and then winter came. so theres so many factors I don't know about and would like to hear from the pros I would like to get this to 40mpg without any "silly" driving habits I.e. shutting the car off etc and leaving the alternator on