View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Panther140
Panther140

Quote:
Originally Posted by D15r View Post
I get what you guys are saying, but I still think it is situational in the real world to get the best fe numbers.

As an example sometimes i coast down a hill on to a flat then reach another down hill, could be a tiny gradient, at which point ive dropped below an acceptable speed so i accelerate to a speed which will suit the next coming climb...speed limits, traffic etc. SO your saying i should be waiting for the up hill to gain speed? But Many hill where I am will barely allow me to accelerate from my efficient climb speed without a downshift or 2.

Please note that I am saying that I prefer to maintain my speed up a 'hill' this would mean I reach the top without losing momenteum.

I know that in rolling country side, uphill down hill I can get better mpg in my car, and by that theory given the inefficiencies of the car engine then there should be a wieght which is optimum for the car which won't be the lowest right?

Please note I get what is being said about efficiencies although obviously my so i'm not arguing the theory just discussing the practicality.
Let it downshift on the way up the hill. Thats okay. The point is to get as much of the work done with the engine near WOT as possible. If you have a manual transmission, pick a gear that keeps you near peak torque, then open the throttle all of the way. If you have an automatic, it will still run more efficiently with the throttle at WOT. If the RPMs rise too high, let off of the throttle quickly to let it upshift. Then resume WOT operation.

If there is no hill around, you have to accelerate on the flat ground. If the grade isn't steep enough to have a significant impact on the amount of potential energy instantaneously aiding or being acquired by the vehicle, then you will most likely only see negligible gains from leveraging them with strategic pulsing and gliding.