View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
tcaud
EcoModding Lurker

Mr. Corolla - '02 Toyota Corolla CE
I try to stay in the sweet spot range, which I hear is between 35-55 for most vehicles. I'm not totally sure what it is for Corollas though... they have reputations as highway cruisers and I hear economy is good even above 60mph. I do a lot of coasting and I'm working on avoiding complete stops when approaching red lights. I don't think 8th gen Corolla automatics are suited to a lot of use of neutral... on the Corolla forums people say they use neutral for no reason other than for engine-breaking. So (automatic) Corollas just may not be suited to hypermiling. I do use 2nd gear though for getting up steep hills... I suspect that does actually help with the gas because I notice the needle doesn't start falling when going steep hills in 2nd, the way it does when it changes gear and pushes itself to make it up in drive. Pulse and glide doesn't seem very effective with this car... it tends to slow down rapidly as it approaches the tops of hills here, requiring a lot of extra gas. May just be the area and its steep, rolling roads (Cincinnati has lots of those). I seem to do better by just doing constant acceleration with a slight increase going up. I looked through the entire list of hypermiling techniques here and next to none of them would be tolerated here, or even safe (maybe in rural areas, though).

EDIT: OK I hit the posting limit so you can see the pics now.

Last edited by tcaud; 10-19-2017 at 10:58 PM..