View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
cr45
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
What I said was that climbing the hill requires the same amount of energy regardless of how fast you do it. Overcoming wind drag is a separate topic. That wind drag would exist regardless of the hill. Wind resistance and grade resistance are different factors and I was focusing on the topic of overcoming grade resistance.

Actually, this is what you said.

As far as the amount of energy it takes to climb the hill, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you do it. It takes X amount of energy to move your vehicle up to the top of that hill, whether you're coasting or not.
Obviously if you encounter wind resistence while climbing the hill, you are going to burn more fuel. But the hill itself did not take more energy from the vehicle. That was the wind. Not the hill.

There is no indication that you are discounting aerodynamic drag!

Brake specific fuel consumption is still more efficient under heavy load, even with fuel enrichment. My "argument" is actually a fact that applies to all quantity-regulated spark-ignited gasoline engines. Do you know what BSFC is?
This is an incredibly facetious statement!

It basically indicates how much work the engine will get done if you give it a certain amount of fuel.

If you supply an engine with one liter of gasoline, and set the engine to peak torque near WOT, it will do more work before running out of fuel than if you give the same engine the same amount of fuel and run it with low load.

For a while, I worked as a fuel systems engineer for a well known company that manufactures internal combustion engines. I'm still very much involved in engineering projects which have the sole intent of increasing the thermal efficiency of engines. Not everything regarding efficient operation is intuitive. I'm not saying to blindly accept what I'm saying, but I recommend you withhold conclusion on this topic and research more.
Small engine cars are already near full throttle whilst climbing hills at highway speed. Several posters have indicated as much to you yet you keep repeating what is only applicable to large engine cars.