View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
...in a perfect world. In this one:

Just A Car Guy: Today's total WTF

Need cheering up?

autonews.com:Bob Lutz: Kiss the good times goodbye
'Everyone will have 5 years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap'

So what are we left with to exercise our freedom of movement? Bicycles and boats? Anything else? Steampunk dirigibles?

Wait a minute...OR scrap it? It'd be hard to keep it on the road if you do that.
When I see things like that, I wonder how the person even gets out of bed.

I tend to agree with most of Bob's assessment of the future. Nailing down the timeline is difficult because it will be hockey stick shaped. There is always a tipping point where enough pieces of technology are developed sufficiently to disrupt how things used to be.

Smartphones are a good example of this phenomenon because nobody had them, and then all of a sudden the pieces needed to make them great (touch screen, GPS, camera, internet, etc) came together and most everyone adopted them. Similarly, when car tech is sufficiently developed, the sensors will be super cheap and unobtrusive, the algorithms refined, the inter-vehicle network established, and the other various technologies developed to the point that autonomy is preferred.

I wonder if our endless march towards giving up freedom for autonomy will influence our willingness to surrender personal freedoms to the government? Will freedom of speech be considered a bad idea in the future? How about freedom to associate, freedom to travel, privacy?

Somewhere around 10 years ago, I had Pandora playing music on my PC and noticed a message that said "Angie likes this song too". I was aghast that Pandora had sold that info to Facebook. It lead me to despise Facebook and not trust it. Despite that, and Facebook sucking compared to competitors, it became the dominant social media company, and I have an account to this day.

Some things I suppose I'm willing to surrender in the name of convenience or economics, but I am concerned about the slippery slope of giving up independence of thought and action.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-06-2017)