View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I think the one style that works with my Forester on the highway is pulse and glide. It runs so much RPM because of the gearing. I have a 2002 manual and I think it has a .75 overdrive but 4.11 gears. With the small tires it turns a bunch of RPM but has lots of power. So I will run it up to 65, then clutch or neutral down to 55. It gets old but doing that I have seen well into the 30's at least according to the torque app. I just don't highway much, and if I am it's to get to the turnoff to the forest service road where mileage goes to crap. Day to day, all around town, I get 23 just driving normally (thats real hand calculated at the pump) but shifting early, like under 2000 rpm and of course anticipating stops. I have tried the 0-20 oil but didn't notice any improvement, but did end up getting a low oil pressure light a few times so I switched back to 5-30. I have changed the gear oil as well, but still really feel a drag when first starting out in freezing weather from the drivetrain. My tires are at 40-43 psi summer but I run studded snow in the winter at a normal 35. I don't usually bother checking my winter mileage, it is over 20 but not by much when I do.

Welcome to ecomodder!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Subaruwagon (11-08-2017)